Perhaps, you feel it’s time to move on to a new company in order to achieve your career goals or you’re unhappy with your workplace environment. Regardless of the reason, searching for a new job while employed can be a tricky matter if you do not proceed with caution. At Employment Solutions, we understand the desire to improve your career standing, so we have created a list of “Do’s and Don’ts” that will assist you with your job hunting while employed.
- Do schedule your interviews around your work schedule or during your lunch break to respect your current employer.
- Don’t call in sick to work to attend an interview.
- Do continue to perform your best while at your current job as any decrease in productivity can negatively affect the company and the morale of your coworkers.
- Don’t start showing up late for work or leaving assignments incomplete simply because you are seeking employment elsewhere.
- Do ensure your aspiration to find an alternative position remains a secret in order to protect your current standing at work.
- Don’t tell your coworkers you are planning on leaving before you have secured another position or you risk being terminated.
- Do prepare to explain your reasons for searching outside the company for employment opportunities. If your current employer discovers your actions, you must be ready to have a candid discussion with your supervisor, which may result in improving your current job.
- Don’t lie to your current employer if you are caught job hunting or you will tarnish your reputation.
- Do choose references outside of your workplace that can attest to your performance.
- Don’t give permission for anyone to call your current employer or use your current employer as a reference, unless they are aware of your intention to leave.
Job Searching Help in Colorado
If you are job hunting, the employment specialists at Employment Solutions can guide you in the right direction for suitable job opportunities without risking your current position. Contact us today to find out how our extensive employment services can benefit you in your job search.